This class introduces the dual degree program between our Chinese College and a US University for our Chinese students. Students will learn details of the program and be taught the necessary skills required for success once admitted into the program. Successful students will function effectively in an American-structured classroom with an American teaching style.
This class introduces the dual degree program between Sias International University (Sias) and Fort Hays State University (FHSU). Students will learn details of the program and be taught the necessary skills required for success once admitted into the program. Successful students will function effectively in an American-structured classroom with an American teaching style. Topics covered include:
- The American classroom,
- Utilizing computer software and other technology for American academic projects,
- Finding and using information,
- Working in groups,
- The application of learning styles,
- Basic presentation skills, and
- Standard forms and expectations in academic writing (format and mechanics).
Student Learning Objectives
By the end of the semester, students will be able to do the following:
- Identify differences in cultural values between American and Chinese academic classrooms and discuss their implications.
- Discuss the FHSU-Sias Partnership program and describe their own goals within that program.
- Describe their own learning styles and plans to maximize their strengths in the program.
- Find information using English and Chinese sources both inside and outside the classroom.
- Use information from other sources in responsible and culturally appropriate ways.
- Present information to their peers in English.
- Use strategies to work effectively in a group.
- Use email, Word and PowerPoint to create academically appropriate documents.
- Use Course Networking to find and submit course documents, interact with classmates, and track grades.
Requirements to teach at Sias International University:
- Minimum of Baccalaureate degree (Higher degrees preferred with additional compensation in salary)
- 2 years of teaching experience or completion of 120+ hour TEFL certificate. Contact Us for more information.
- Desire to interact in a cross-cultural setting
- Willingness to learn and develop teaching with excellence
- Ability to work with a myriad of people from different cultures and backgrounds
- Willingness to enter into a foreign country with patience and diligence
- Airfare to China
- Return Airfare (with completion of one-year contract)
- Medical Care Allowance
- Accident Insurance
- Private Apartment (see pictures)
- Internet and Utilities Paid
- Free Weekend Trips (see examples)
- Paid Winter Holiday
- Free Chinese Lessons
- Faculty Cafeteria with International Food is now not a required benefit (see pictures)
- Salaries start from 7,500-12,000 RMB ($1150-1875 USD) a month depending on the degree attained. Every year teachers get a raise and signing a 3-year contract after the first semester gives teachers a 16.7% raise. Learn more at How Much Money I Could Save Page.