There are many ways SIAS University is unique and may be the softest landing for foreign faculty in Central China. These 25 reasons are so unique, you can’t find them at any other campus in all of China.
1. A community of 140 expat teachers and their 40 dependents. The most foreign faculty of any university in China.
2. We work for Dr. Shawn Chen – the visionary behind SIAS. Read more about him in this China Daily article. Shawn is also the president of the AUAP network of 220+ universities in the Asia Pacific Rim.
and… Dr. Chen likes to Dance with his foreign faculty:
3. The campus he built is so fun, we have our own theme-park-style map:
4. SIAS has a marching band for our yearly SIAS Homecoming Parade! Before the students arrive at SIAS none of them have ever played any of these instruments!
5. SIAS is located in Xinzheng, Henan. Xinzheng is the birthplace (c. 2700 BC) of semi-legendary Yellow Emperor Huangdi, sometimes called “the First Ancestor.” More photos from SIAS’ Historian, Dr. Gary Todd.
6. Foreign faculty not just teaching in the School of Foreign Language, but in the Business School, Music School, www.FHSU.edu professor positions, Campus Maintenance, Western Chef, Library Services, International Networking, Fundraising, and Administrative Leadership positions.
7. SIAS has an American-style Cheerleader squad. Read the LA Times Article about how they have competed internationally.
8. Our foreign faculty family are Happy…
with a Yellow School Bus shipped from the US and assembled at SIAS,
recently converted into a bar serving milk tea and other drinks.
9. Extended holidays for foreign faculty staff (6+ weeks in the Winter and 9+ weeks in the Summer). Yes, 15 weeks holiday (not counting May, October, Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays). See pictures on our Pinterest Teacher Adventures Page.
10. SIAS has partnerships with organizations to offer 100% off scholarships for our faculty to enroll as Chinese language and culture students. This is the Teach and Study Scholarship. Teach a semester and study a semester! Follow our School of Language and Culture on Facebook.
11. “Best-in-class” Oral English program with 55 Oral English teachers with students enrolled in weekly Oral English classes for 2 years. 8,000+ of the 26,500 students are Business English majors.
12. Faculty and students learn golf at SIAS from our American golf instructor.
13. Holidays at SIAS – the highlight of our American holidays is still food!
Our Christmas parties are complete with Christmas carols…
and presents under a tree.
14. Peter Hall Faculty Apartments have a western quality cafe in the lobby. Mochas, Smoothies, Pizza, French Fries, Italian Panini and pasta, and wifi. Yay!
with Neon lights…
and large family housing (3 bedroom/2.5 bath apartments)
15. SIAS Students formed “the world’s largest calligraphy puzzle” and entered the Guinness Book of World Records.
16. Shawn Chen loves basketball. So we have the largest indoor basketball training center in China…
and a heated indoor swimming pool for cross-training.
17. 10 expat admin providing support and supervision. (5 expat Academic leaders, Liaison to Chinese admin, events coordinator, an activities director, and HR team who do recruiting and interviews of new faculty) Apply Now!
18. The new 15-story high Shawn Chen Library is currently under construction. This iconic library is rumored to have an oxygen bar and a digital waterfall. The external architecture symbolizes the ascension of knowledge with ancient design at the lower levels and futuristic higher up – topped with a graduation cap. Read more.
19. Host to Orphanage Camps like Bring Me Hope, Women’s Leadership Clubs www.globalinteractions.org, CEOGlobal.org Leadership Elective Courses, SIAS – Amidi Business Incubation Center and AUAP Higher Ed Conferences.
20. 3-year contract to give faculty an additional 2 months paid salary per year! That means, instead of 6 weeks paid holiday one can have a full 15 weeks paid holiday per year. Visa, Flights, Housing, Food, and utilities all paid for by SIAS. So all this money you can save. Learn more about money.
21. Any SIAS Campus footage from a quadcopter looks good!
22. Opportunity for expat faculty to fly home in time for Christmas every 3 years or we can stay every year to enjoy the holiday parties our cooks and housing staff host!
23. An on-site Teachers’ Representative Committee of expat volunteers representing all faculty for legal support and continued improvements to our contract.
24. A week of new teacher orientation for SIAS new teachers and our partner school new teachers. Read more.
25. The SIAS vision is that East meets West. The administration building has one side appearing like the capitol building from the East and the other side a capitol building from the West. SIAS is the first undergraduate university in China to grant both Chinese and American BA Degrees (about 1/6th of the student body are enrolled in this dual degree program).
The admin building overlooks the SIAS fountains that dance…
in front of 24 trumpeting Angels!
What do you like most about what Sias University offers the Foreign Faculty?
Every year we hire 30-45 faculty to join our staff. We are currently interviewing for another 10 Oral English, 1 English Composition with a focus on lecturing than correcting students work. 3 Elementary School teachers, and 3-4 Business Teachers: Financial Management / International Financial Management, International Business Negotiations, Microeconomics and Accounting.
Contact me at email@example.com or 1-209-877-7427 with any questions.